Building Permits (Inspector / Town)

* For details on obtaining a building permit from the town, please scroll down.


The Town of Perry’s Building Inspector is Todd Parkos.
All required building inspections must be performed by the building inspector.

Todd Parkos
310 North Kenzie Street
Barneveld, WI 53507
Home Phone: (608) 924-1570
Mobile Phone: (608) 516-1251

Projects that REQUIRE a building permit from the inspector:

        • New buildings including detached structures (decks, garages).*
        • Additions that increase the physical dimensions of a building including decks.*
        • Alterations to the building structure.
        • Alteration of plumbing, HVAC or electrical systems.
        • All electrical wiring (new construction or remodeling).
        • All HVAC (new construction or remodeling).
        • All plumbing (new construction or remodeling).
        • Accessory buildings (agricultural barns, agricultural sheds, or agricultural accessory structures).*


Projects that DO NOT REQUIRE a building permit from the inspector:

        • Re-siding, re-roofing, finishing of interior surfaces, replacement of windows, installation of cabinetry or minor repairs.
        • Normal repairs and replacements of HVAC, plumbing and electrical equipment or systems such as replacing switches, receptacles, light fixtures, dimmers, furnace, air conditioning, garbage disposal, water heater or water softener.


* The construction of new buildings, including accessory buildings, and all additions or additional stories (except the ones exempted under section 1.07 of the Building Ordinance) require approval from the Town of Perry and Dane County.  Details on how to apply are listed below.

* Town policies on buildings and their location can be found in the Town’s Land Use Plan and Building Ordinance.

* Dane County’s zoning ordinances on building locations can be found in Chapter 10 of Dane County Zoning Ordinances.  *Before submitting an application with the Town, you should confirm with the County that the size and proposed location of the building conforms with the County Zoning requirements.

* Before applying for a building permit with the Town, you may wish to appear informally before the Town of Perry’s Land Use Committee to explain your intent and be advised as to concerns that will need to be addressed before you submit your request.  Please note that this appearance is for informational purposes only and is not an official request to the Town and that the Town will not act without an application being filed and the proper fee paid.

* Building Permits will not be issued until a site plan has been approved by the Town of Perry.

* No Building Permit will be issued until the driveway (if needed) is constructed according to the specifications of the Driveway Ordinance.  See page titled Driveway Construction Permit Application for more information.

Step 1:  To Apply 

Applications for Accessory Buildings (Ag and Non-Ag), Detached Garages and
Inground Swimming Pools Require a Site View:    

  1. Complete a Permit Application, selecting “Building” and the appropriate building type.
  2. With the application, you should include the following exhibits, if applicable:
    • Site Plan (unless exempt under Section 1.07 of the Building Ordinance)
    • County Erosion Control Plan (for the Building Site)
    • Completed Driveway Inspection Report, if a driveway is needed
    • County Zoning Permit
    • County Sanitary Permit
    • Wisconsin Administration Building Permit Application, issued by building inspector
    • Land Division – if required, the fee is $550.00
  3.  Submit the completed Permit Application (include original + 8 copies of the application and each exhibit) and a fee of $300 to the Town Deputy Clerk, Stephanie Zwettler at 9730 County Rd A, Mount Horeb, WI  53572.  Email questions:

Note:  Applications that require more than one site view will require an additional $125.00 fee per site visit.  However, applications requiring only one site view for approval may be eligible for up to 50% refund.

Applications for Home Additions, Decks, and Attached Garages
Do Not Require a Site View*:

  1. Complete a Permit Application, selecting “Building” and the appropriate building type.
  2. With the application, the following nonrefundable fees will be charged for the building permit:

Additions or Additional Story*      $15.00
Decks                                                 $15.00
Attached Garages                            $15.00
* Dwelling Additions and Additional Stories are subject to Building Inspections and Building Inspection Fees.

3.  Submit the completed Permit Application and a fee of $15 to the Town Deputy Clerk, Stephanie Zwettler.

*Note:  These building permit applications will be placed on the next Town Board agenda for consideration and approval.

County Requirements:  According to Dane County Planning and Development, the most misunderstood aspect of County permit requirements is that rural landowners think that some buildings are exempt from County permits.  Most, in fact, are not.  To find out which buildings need permits and which ones don’t, you will need to contact the Dane County Planning and Development Office.  They will inform you of their procedures and supply you with the proper forms to fill out. It would be wise to check with both the County and the Town before starting so you will know what requirements you will need to follow as well as what information you will need to gather so that you can satisfy both entities as you proceed.

Step 2:  After Applying for a Building Permit Requiring a Site View

Upon receipt of the complete application with exhibits and the appropriate fee, the Deputy Clerk will issue the neighbor notification letter.  This letter will be sent by certified mail to all adjoining landowners at least 10 days prior to the Land Use Committee’s regularly scheduled monthly meeting.  The notification letter states the intended land-use change, the date of the scheduled site viewing by the Land Use Committee and of the impending public hearing at the next regularly scheduled meeting of that committee.

Step 3:  At the Site View

It is necessary that you or your agent attend both the site viewing and the public hearing.  Failure to do so could result in a recommendation for denial or postponement of your application if there are questions that cannot be answered.

Sites must be field-staked for the site view.  Site views are held the Saturday prior to the Land Use Committee meeting.

It is possible that it might take more than one site viewing and/or public hearing to resolve any concerns that might arise.

Step 4:  At the Land Use Committee Meeting

The Land Use Committee holds a meeting, usually the first Wednesday evening of the month, after the site view.  It is a public hearing to allow the applicant to present his/her intentions for the land division or zoning change.  It is also the opportunity for neighbors and other residents of the community to express their concerns or questions and to present other pertinent information to the Committee.  

After careful consideration of the request, its conformity with the Land Use Plan and the Land Division Ordinance or Zoning Change Ordinance, and other information presented, the Land Use Committee will recommend approval, conditional approval, denial, or tabling to allow time to gather additional information.  This decision will be forwarded to the Town Board.

Step 5:  At the Town Board Meeting

The Town Board will then consider the application at its next scheduled meeting only if a recommendation has been made by the Land Use Committee.  The Town Board usually meets on the second Tuesday of the month.  Unless your appearance is requested to answer questions, you do not need to attend this meeting.  However, if you choose to attend, be advised that this meeting is not a second public hearing, and your input should be limited to new information only.

After consideration, the Board will approve, conditionally approve, or deny your request.  If approved, the Clerk will issue you an appropriate approval and report the Town’s actions to the Dane County Planning & Development.